Monday, January 2, 2012

Driftwood Lamp

Sooo here's the story...

I've had this lamp done for a few weeks now but iphoto was being weird and not recognizing the images that I had downloaded. Long story short...it's cooperating and now I can show you the final product.

In case you don't remember what the lamp looked like before here ya go...
Fugly? Yes. Potential? Yes.

While perusing ebay I came across a white driftwood lamp with a linen shade for...gulp...$329!!! Now, I have no clue what kind of person could justify spending that much money on a lamp. Here's the link so go take a peek:http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-DRIFTWOOD-LAMP-Natural-ORGANIC-Coastal-BEACH-/180612958335?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item2a0d5f087f#ht_1686wt_933


Price aside, I thought it was a beautiful lamp and so I decided to try to copy it for hubby's nightstand. I found my lamp on ebay for $40 (totally worth it since once again, I bought the shade from Pottery Barn with a gift card) and when it finally came in the mail I was a little worried because, well, it was super ugly!

But it's amazing what a little paint will do...

Love it love it love it!

I applied a coat of primer first and then Rustoleum's Heirloom White, but decided I liked how the white primer looked better than the creamy Heirloom White so I then put another coat of primer on top. A bit more work than planned but the white looks so much better with the linen shade. And the lamp looks great in the master bedroom.

Now all I need to do is fix those pictures on either side of the bed. We just had new pictures done so it can wait until we replace the old with the new.

That's it for now. One of my favorite people, Audrey, is coming over for dinner any second so it's time for me to go and enjoy some wine!


Weekend Bloggy Reading


8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is awesome! I have collected so much driftwood, that I just don't know what to do with it all... Thank you for this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE this lamp!!! how beautiful!!!! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Found you over at Homemaker in Heels. I love what you did with the lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, SO much better in white!! It's a real statement piece now. :) I love that you saw the potential!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! this is gorgeous! Eye candy all the way! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Gravy this is gorgeous!!!! I saw this lamp at Urban Barn http://www.urbanbarn.com/products/Room-Accents/Lighting/kata-root-lamp/1320
    and wanted it SO badly...but now I'm inspired to make one like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes an artists eye to see the potential in a piece like that and you definitely have it. Your vision was an inspiration and the lamp turned out beautifully!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! It is gorgeous!!! I am such a lamp fanatic, so I love finding new ideas. Thanks so much for linking up this week!! I will be featuring this tonight, so feel free to stop by and grab a "featured" button! :)
    Crysta
    Homemaker in Heels

    ReplyDelete